The 25 foot (3/8 inch OD) copper coiled immersion chiller is perfect for 1-5 gallon and the 50 foot (3/8 inch OD) size is perfect for 5-10 gallon batches of beverage. They are used to quickly reduce the boiling wort to yeast pitching temperatures. These chillers come with 8 feet of plastic in/out tubing (to be cut to length by customer), a garden hose adapter for quickly hooking up to a hose or a faucet with an adapter, three hose clamps and instructions. Some very minor assembly required. If you would like us to assemble this for you, please note in the comments at checkout that you would like it to come assembled.
Why use an immersion chiller?
- mitigate the chance for contamination by dropping to pitch temperature quicker
- reduce the chances of converting any additional SMM (S-Methyl Methionine, a chemical present in malt) into DMS (Dimethyl Sulfide; which has a flavor and aroma of creamed corn) while slowly cooling
- chilling quickly is noted to have a positive effect on finished beverage clarity
- much faster than an ice bath or the no chill method
- moving boiling wort around is dangerous
Clean the chiller after each use, rinse immediately before use and sanitize the chiller by placing it into the boiling wort 10 minutes before the end of the boil.
8 1/2 inch coil outside diameter
4 inch coil height
14 1/2 inch inlet/outlet height
8 1/2" coil outside diameter
8 1/2" coil height
14 1/2" inlet/outlet height